- January 6, 2022
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject – Art and Culture
Context – ‘Love and surrender’ at Anand Rao Circle in Bangalore. As part of makeover, there will be 2 traffic islands, statues of Buddha and Angulimala
- Aṅgulimāla is an important figure in Buddhism, particularly within the Theravāda tradition.
- Depicted as a ruthless brigand who completely transforms after a conversion to Buddhism, he is seen as the example par excellence of the redemptive power of the Buddha’s teaching and the Buddha’s skill as a teacher.
- Aṅgulimāla is seen by Buddhists as the “patron saint” of childbirth and is associated with fertility in South and Southeast Asia.
- Aṅgulimāla’s story can be found in numerous sources in Pāli, Sanskrit, Tibetan and Chinese.
- Buddhists consider Aṅgulimāla a symbol of spiritual transformation, and his story a lesson that everyone can change their life for the better, even the least likely people.