- February 24, 2022
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Context- In January 2022, five people were killed in a landslide at Tosham’s Dadam mining zone in the Bhiwani district of Haryana. The incident put the spotlight on the mining activities in Aravalli hills flouting prescribed rules and threatening local ecology.
- The Aravalli Range, an eroded stub of ancient mountains, is the oldest range of fold mountains in India.
- The natural history of the Aravalli Range dates back to times when the Indian Plate was separated from the Eurasian Plate by an ocean.
- They extend from Gujarat, Rajasthan up to south Haryana before finally ending in Delhi.
- The highest peak is Guru Shikhar at 1,722 meters.
- Three major rivers and their tributaries flow from the Aravalli, namely Banas and Sahibi rivers which are tributaries of Yamuna, as well as Luni River which flows into the Rann of Kutch.
- The Aravallis is a biodiversity hotspot with 400-odd species of trees, shrubs and herbs; 200-odd native and migratory bird species; 100-odd butterfly species; 20-odd reptile species and 20-odd mammal species, including leopards.