Assam Gas Leak
- June 8, 2020
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Since the morning of May 27, natural gas has been continuously flowing out of a gas well in Assam
- The Baghjan 5 well is a purely gas-producing well in Tinsukia district. Sometimes, the pressure balance in a well may be disturbed leading to ‘kicks’ or changes in pressure. If these are not controlled in time, the ‘kicks’ can turn into a sudden blowout.
- Maguri-Motapung wetland, an Important Bird Area notified by the Bombay Natural History Society situated near to the site. The park is famous for its birds, butterflies, wild cats, and feral horses.
- Dibru-Saikhowa National Park is located at an aerial distance of 900 meters from the leak site.
Dibru-Saikhowa National Park
- Dibru-Saikhowa is a National Park as well as a Biosphere Reserve situated in the south bank of the river Brahmaputra in the extreme east of Assam state in India.
- Situated in the flood plain of Brahmaputra, Dibru-saikhowa is a safe haven for many extremely rare and endangered species of Wildlife.
- The forest type of Dibru-Saikhowa comprises of semi-evergreen forests, deciduous forests, littoral and swamp forests and patches of wet evergreen forests.