Atoll Nation and Air bubble
- July 13, 2020
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Maldives has asked Indian government to establish an air bubble or air travel bridge with India as it goes to reopen tourism sector from July 15
- Maldives is located to the southwest of India in the Indian Ocean
- The economy of the Maldives is almost entirely driven by tourism, which makes up 70 per cent of its GDP.
- The air bubble would be a special gesture to a country with which India has had traditionally warm ties, but where in recent years, it has had to contend with growing Chinese influence.
- Air bubbles” or “air bridges” are joining jurisdictions that have largely eliminated the cornovirus, and trust in each other’s testing and case numbers.
- Australia and New Zealand have leaded the way with a proposed “Covid-safe travel zone”, or the trans-Tasman bubble.