- October 24, 2020
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject: International Relations
Context: US Officials has said that no commitment can be given about BECA agreement as 2+2 Dialogue between India and US is scheduled later this month.
Basic Exchange Cooperation Agreement :
- BECA will allow India to use the geospatial maps of the USA to get pinpoint military accuracy of automated hardware systems and weapons such as cruise and ballistic missiles.
- BECA is an important precursor to India acquiring armed unmanned aerial vehicles such as the Predator-B from the USA. Predator-B uses spatial data for accurate strikes on enemy targets.
- BECA is one of the four foundational military communication agreements between the two countries. The other three being GSOMIA, LEMOA, CISMOA.
- Initially, India had reservations to geospatial mapping on the grounds of national security, but they were later addressed by mutual dialogue and discussion between the two countries.