BH series registration
- October 8, 2022
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
BH series registration
Context: Road ministry proposes amendments in rules for the BH series registration mark.
- It would increase the scope of implementation of the BH series vehicle registrations.
- It would permit transfer of vehicles with BH series registration mark to other persons, who are eligible or ineligible for getting the series.
- It would allow vehicles having regular or currently prevalent state specific registration marks, be converted to BH series registration marks subject to payment of requisite tax.
- Application for registration of vehicle under BH series, shall be made to any registering authority of the state in which:
- vehicle owner has either permanent residence or
- place of work.
Bharat -BH series registration:
- It aims to universalise and simplify the registration process of vehicles and bring a seamless system of maintaining vehicle records.
- Under section 47 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, a person is allowed to keep the vehicle for not more than 12 months in any state other than the state where the vehicle is registered.
- Else a new registration with the new state- registering authority has to be made within the stipulated time of 12 months.
- A passenger vehicle user takes the following steps to re-register a vehicle
- No Objection Certificate from the Parent State for assignment of a new registration mark in another state.
- Assignment of new registration mark after the road tax on prorata basis is paid in the new State
- Application for refund of road tax in parent State on pro rata basis.
- Registration Mark Format in BH-series that will facilitate seamless transfer of vehicles is YY BH #### XX.
- YY is the code for Year of 1st registration, BH is the code for Bharat Series, #### for 0000 to 9999, XX for Alphabets (AA to ZZ).
- A vehicle bearing this BH-series registration mark shall not require assignment of a new registration mark when the owner of the vehicle shifts from one State to another.
- This vehicle registration facility under “BH-series” will be available on voluntary basis to
- Defense personnel,
- Employees of Central & State Governments/ Central & State PSUs,
- Employees of private sector companies/organizations, which have their offices in 4 or more States/UTs.
- The new system of allotting BH series registration to vehicles will be completely online.
- Vehicles registering under the BH system will be levied road tax for two years and in multiple of two thereafter, instead of the owner paying for the whole amount of 15 years’ worth of road tax up front.
- After completion of the fourteenth year, the motor vehicle tax shall be levied annually which shall be half of the amount which was charged earlier for that vehicle.