- March 2, 2022
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Context- Centre’s has amended the rules regarding appointments to two key positions on the Bhakra Beas Management Board (BBMB).
About Bhakra Dam:
- Bhakra Dam is a concrete gravity dam on the Sutlej River.
- The dam forms the Gobind Sagar reservoir.
- The dam, located at a gorge near the (now submerged) upstream Bhakra village in Bilaspur district of Himachal Pradesh of height 226 m.
- In terms of quantity of water, it is the third largest reservoir in India, the first being Indira Sagar dam in Madhya Pradesh and second Nagarjunasagar Dam.
- Nangal Dam is another dam in Punjab downstream of Bhakra Dam. However, sometimes both the dams together are called Bhakra-Nangal Dam though they are two separate dams.
- Bhakra dam was part of the larger multipurpose Bhakra Nangal Project whose aims were to prevent floods in the Satluj-Beas river valley, to provide irrigation to adjoining states and also to provide hydro-electricity.
*** For further information refer to DPN 28 February 2022.