Bio-Medical Waste Rules
- June 6, 2020
- Posted by: admin
- Category: DPN Topics
- Chennai-based environmental group seeks more norms for disposal of COVID-19 medical waste in Tamil Nadu
- It has demanded that the government set up at least one Common Bio-medical Waste Treatment and Disposal Facility per district immediately
- Bio Medical Waste Management Rules, (BMWM), 2016 defines Bio Medical Waste as any Waste generated during the diagnosis, treatment or immunization of human being and animals, in research activities or in production or testing of Biological.
- Bio Medical Waste is categorized into four categories Yellow, Red, Blue and White and needs special consideration during its handling, storage, transportation treatment and disposal specific to its color code.
- BMWM Rules 2016 specify the statutory responsibility of waste management of Waste generator, Occupier of Health care establishment, Common Facility operator, SPCB and stake holder departments responsible for BMW management at both Central and state government, in accordance with the provisions of BMW Rules and Guidelines issued by CPCB & SPCB.