- March 3, 2021
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject: Science and Technology
Context: The ICMR director said that both the vaccines available in India are safe for use for beneficiaries on blood thinners.
- These are medications taken orally or intravenously (through a vein) to prevent a blood clot (blood clot stop the flow of blood to the heart, lungs, or brain leading to heart attack or stroke).
- Medication is sometimes done after international normalized ratio (INR) test i.e., rate at which blood clots.
Types of Blood thinners:
- Antiplatelet drug: It thin the blood to keep blood cells (platelets) from sticking together in the veins and arteries. Ex- aspirin
- Anticoagulant drugs: It prevent blood clots by increasing the amount of time it takes for blood clots to form. These are generlly recommended to one with heart disease.Ex- warfarin
- Vitamin K can lessen the effectiveness of some anticoagulants, such as warfarin.
- People who take anticoagulant medications are suggested to use herbal supplements and teas with caution.
- Natural blood thinners: garlic, ginger, celery seed, aniseed.
- Foods rich in vitamin E are also natural blood thinners. A number of oils contain vitamin E, such as olive, corn, soybean, and wheat germ are some of these.
- Other sources of Vitamin E are: spinach, tomatoes, mangoes, kiwis, peanut butter, almonds, sunflower seeds, broccoli