- July 14, 2021
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject: Science and Technology
Context: Israel has started administering the third dose of Pfizer-Biotech’s Covid-19 vaccine to elderly people with compromised immune systems.
- The fully vaccinated people by now clearly shows that immune responses last up to 8-12 months ,Hence a booster is a means of strengthening one’s immune system against a particular pathogen.
- The same original vaccine, in which case its goal is to increase the protection by producing more antibodies.
- boosters given after six months of full immunisation can increase antibody level so high that they protect against all the variants
- These boosters will be particularly helpful for the elderly and immunocompromised people.
- There are studies showing that a new variant can sneak past the antibodies created by a specific vaccine, the need of a tweaked booster shot arises then.