- December 22, 2021
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject – Environment
Context – ‘Chillaikalan’ puts Kashmir in a deep freeze
- The 40-day intense winter period “chillaikalan” started in Kashmir valley on 21st December with sub-zero night temperatures across the region.
- It will continue till January 31.
- Chillai Kalan is followed by Chillai-Khurd and Chillai-Bachha.
- ChillaiKhurd (small cold) is a 20-day long period which starts from January 31 to February 19.
- Chillai-Bachha (baby cold), a 10-day long period which occurs between February 20 and March 2.
- Considered to be the core of winter, Chillai Kalan usually brings snowfall, sub-zero temperatures causing freezing of water bodies including the Dal lake, closure of highways, etc.
- During Chillai-Kalan, the weather in Kashmir valley continues to remain dry and cold with minimum temperatures hovering below the freezing point.