COMMISSION FOR AIR QUALITY MANAGEMENT
- October 30, 2020
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
Context: Centre has set up the Commission for Air Quality Management in National Capital Region to curb air pollution in Delhi and adjoining areas.
- The Commission can lay down guidelines, and ask state governments to curb pollution and stubble burning. It is empowered to inspect any premises and/or order the disconnection of water and electric supply.
- Central body to file annual reports in the Parliament, can be contested only in NGT.
- 18 member Commission will lay down norms to curb stubble burning, pollution.
- Violation of Commission’s order to invite jail term upto 5 years, fine upto Rs 1 crore.
- The new central body will replace the over 2-decade old Environmental Pollution (Prevention and Control) Authority (EPCA), which was responsible for curbing pollution.
Environment Pollution (Prevention and Control) Authority
- EPCA was constituted under section 3 of the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986 for the National Capital Region in compliance with the Supreme Court order dated January 1998.
- It has the power to take action suo-moto, or on the basis of complaints made by any individual, representative body or organization functioning in the field of environment.
- It takes all necessary steps for controlling vehicular pollution, ensuring compliance of fuel quality standards, monitoring and coordinating action for traffic planning and management.