Daily Practice Sheet 1 April 2021
- April 1, 2021
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPS
Daily Practice Sheet
1 April 2021
Daily Prelims Topic
- Bombay Natural history Society
- Art 244 (A)
- Global Gender Gap report
- Bandhavgarh National Park
- DNA profiling
- Production Linked Incentive Scheme for Food Processing Industry
- First-of-its-kind Cruise Service starts between Surat and Diu
- Zoji La pass
Healthcare workforce in India
Acute shortage of health workforce:
- The density of qualified active health workforce in India is as low as 12-13 doctors (including AYUSH practitioners) and nurses/midwives per 10,000 persons, which is almost half of the WHO-recommended minimum threshold of 22.8 health workers per 10,000 persons required for achieving 80% coverage of assisted deliveries by a skilled birth attendant.
- The PLFS of the NSSO for 2018-19 reflects that more than 30% of doctors and more than 50% of nurses with adequate qualifications are not part of the current health workforce.
- The number of nurses per doctor in India is very low, approximately 1.3 nurses per doctor on an average, as against three nurses per doctor in developed countries.
- Less developed states like Assam, Bihar, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha and Uttar Pradesh having health worker population ratio of as low as 6-8 health workers per 10,000 persons. Also, more than 60% of doctors and a little over 50% of nurses/midwives are employed in the private sector, while public facilities in different states report high level of vacancies against the sanctioned posts of health workers.
Need for investment health workforce
- Even if 100% of the new graduates join health workforce, it will take more than 10 years to add 2.5 lakh health professionals to the existing qualified active health workforce of about 15 lakh.
Daily Mains Mantra
- Critically examine the need and relevance of Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP) Amendment Bill 2020. [Reference: Indian Express]
- What do you understand by freebies? How do they impact the election process? [Reference: The Hindu]
- Healthcare in India is in need of big investment in upgrading quantity as well as quality of health workforce. [Reference: Financial Express]
- Discuss the recommendations of the 15th FC with regard to local government. [Reference: The Hindu]
- Discuss the idea of Zones of Excellence in Road Safety (ZoE) and its relevance in context of tackling India’s road safety challenges. [Reference: Indian Express]