Daily Practice Sheet 1 August 2020
- August 1, 2020
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPS
On this Day
Today is 100th Death anniversary of Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak.
Daily Prelims Topic
- 100th death anniversary of Tilak
- Impact sea level rise
- Sensitivity and specificity in testing
- Core Sector industries shrinks
- Metropolitan Planning Committee
- Setusamudram shipping canal project
- Barak River
Seal Level Rise:
- As per this assessment, 0.5-0.7 per cent of the world’s land area is at a risk of episodic coastal flooding by 2100, impacting 2.5-4.1 per cent of the population, assuming there are no coastal defenses or adaptation measures in place.
- Study has found that globally, of the 68 per cent area that is prone to coastal flooding, over 32 per cent can be attributed to regional SLR.
- Researchers predict that by 2100, the global population potentially exposed to episodic coastal flooding will increase from 128-171 million to 176-287 million. The value of global assets exposed to these episodes is projected to be between $6,000-$9,000 billion, or 12-20 per cent of the global GDP.
- India’s public health expenditure in 2018 was a mere 1.28% of GDP.
- According to the World Bank, India’s out-of-pocket health expenditure was 62.4% in 2017, while the world average was 18.2%.
- Manpower in the health sector is low with India’s doctor-population ratio being 1:1,457 which is lower than the World Health Organization norm of 1:1,000.
- Bengaluru’s average percentage of own revenue to total expenditure is 47.9%, Chennai 30.5%, Mumbai 36.1% and Kolkata at 48.4%.
- According to ASICS 2017, Mumbai has the highest number of officers per lakh population at 938. However, this is abysmally low compared to global cities such as Johannesburg with 2,922 officers and New York with 5,446 officers per lakh population.
During post-independence period, Assam faced major floods in 1954, 1962, 1972, 1977, 1984, 1988, 1998, 2002, 2004 and 2012. Almost every year three to four waves of flood ravage the flood prone areas of Assam.
Daily Mains Mantra
- Discuss the contribution of Lal Bal Pal in promoting the idea of Swaraj. [Reference: The Better India]
- Discuss the factors that led to the growth of extremist nationalism in the beginning of the 20th
GS 1: History
- Discuss the contribution of Tilak to national freedom struggle.
- Why is Tilak considered as the father of Indian revolution? [Reference: The Print]
GS 2: Polity
- Examine the concept of secularism in the Indian constitution as interpreted by the Supreme Court in various judgments. [Reference: Indian Express]
- COVID pandemic has exposed the weak municipal capacities of Indian capacities. [Reference: The Hindu]
GS 3: Environment
- Discuss the impact of sea level rise because of climate change in India and the world. [Reference: Indian Express]
- Is environment conservation a hindrance to development? Critically examine the draft EIA 2020. [Reference: The Hindu]
- Assam with its vast network of rivers is prone to natural disasters like flood and erosion. Comment. [Reference: Water Resources]
GS 4: Ethics