Daily Practice Sheet 18 July 2020
- July 18, 2020
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPS
Daily Prelims Topic
- UN’s Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)
- Multidimensional Poverty Index
- Strategic Petroleum Reserves:
- What are IPOs?
- Bhagirathi Eco-Sensitive Zone notification from Gaumukh to Uttarakashi
- According to a UN report about 273 million Indians moved out of multidimensional poverty between 2005-6 and 2015-16.
- It noted that India has recorded the largest reduction in the number of people living in this category.
- The study has found that four countries — India Armenia, Nicaragua and North Macedonia — have reduced their MPI by half or more in 5.5 to 10.5 years.
- According to the study, 65 out of the 75 countries that were studied have lowered their MPI value and 50 nations have even reduced the number of people living in poverty.
Daily Mains Mantra
- Critically evaluate the achievements of the Cholas.
- Discuss the role of Bhakti and Sufi movement in promoting social harmony.
- What are the salient features of ‘inclusive growth’? Has India been experiencing such a growth process? Analyze and suggest measures for inclusive growth.
- Comment on the challenges for inclusive growth which include careless and useless manpower in the Indian context. Suggest measures to be taken for facing these challenges.
GS 1: Society
- “An essential condition to eradicate poverty is to liberate the poor from the process of deprivation.” Substantiate this statement with suitable examples. [Reference: The Print]
- Critically examine whether growing population is the cause of poverty OR poverty is the main cause of population increase in India.
GS 2: Governance
- Critically asses India’s effort in alleviating poverty in the last two decades. [Reference: Business Line]
- Hunger and poverty are the biggest challenges for good governance in India still today. Evaluate how far successive governments have progressed in dealing with these humongous problems. Suggest measure for improvement.
- Poverty alleviation programmes in India remain mere showpieces until and unless they are backed up by political will.” Discuss with reference to the performance of the major poverty alleviation programmes in India.
- Multilateralism needs to represent the reality of the contemporary world. In the light of the statement discuss the need for reform of the United Nation [Reference: Indian Express]
- The Iran-China deal deepens India’s strategic bind in an increasingly hostile neighbourhood. Comment [Reference: Scroll.in, Indian Express]
GS 3: Economy
- What do you understand by black money? Critically asses India’s effort towards fighting the menace of black money. [ Reference: Indian Express]