Daily Practice Sheet 2 December 2021
- December 2, 2021
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPS
Daily Practice Sheet
2 December 2021
Daily Prelims Topic
- Petrol and Diesel under GST
- World Migration Report 2022
- Scientists to map fungal networks, determine climate role
- A 1,600-year-old site found in Haryana that claims of ‘continued habitation’ around lost Saraswati River
- The gold mirrors of the James Webb Space Telescope
- Changing monsoon patterns over 30 years, and 2021 trends
- Green Yodha
- ‘No clear public safety, emergency definition: Net ban being used for routine policing’
- World Inequality Report
- Debt: GDP
- FRBM Review Committee
- CBI and Consent
- People with past exposure to antiretroviral drugs thrice as likely to resist them: WHO
- HIV –Group M
- CERT-In has reported that a total number of 17,560, 24,768, 26,121 and 25,870 Indian websites were hacked during the years 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 (up to October), respectively
- Lightning strikes killed 2,862 Indians in 2020.
- Each Indian household generates food waste at the rate of 50 kilogram per capita per year, which is lower than many developed countries.
World Migration Report 2022
- The report is published every year by International Organization for Migration (IOM) of the UN.
- More people are being displaced by disasters — caused by the changing climate — than conflicts, reversing a historical trend.
- 7 million new displacements were triggered by disasters in 145 countries and territories.
- Most of the new displacement is due to climate related events: Storms accounted for 14.6 million displacements and floods for 14.1 million. Extreme temperatures have displaced some 46,000 people anew; droughts caused new displacement of 32,000 people in 2020.
- United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification estimates that droughts could lead to the migration of 22 million more in Africa, 12 million in South America and 10 million in Asia by 2059 (in comparison to the 2000-2015 period).
- The last World Migration Report, published in December 2019 in 2018, of the total new 28 million internally displaced people in 148 countries, 61 per cent were due to disasters.
Topic: Issues relating to Poverty and Hunger
- For India to march ahead on a sustainable development pathway to include economic development, social inclusion and environmental sustainability for achieving an Atmanirbhar Bharat”, a greater emphasis may be needed on promoting traditional knowledge systems, developing indigenous technologies and encouraging grassroots innovations. Discuss the need for a new Science and Technology policy
Daily Mains Mantra
GS 1: Geography
- Discuss the phenomenon of lightening. Also discuss the geographical distribution in India. [Reference: DownToEarth, LiveMint]
GS 2: IR
- The world trade body must not become an instrument to promote developed nations’ interests. In this discuss the need to reform WTO. [Reference: Business Line]
GS 3: Economy
GS 3: Environment
- Is nuclear energy answer to climate change? [Reference: Financial Express]
- More people are being displaced by disasters — caused by the changing climate — than conflicts reversing a historical trend. [Reference: DownToEarth]
GS 3: Security
- The demographic balance has been upset in Border States like West Bengal and Assam over a period of time. In this context, examine the challenges in border management faced by BSF. How will the recent amendment help BSF in securing Indian borders? [Reference: Indian Express]
- Discuss the mandate of CBI? How does federal nature of Indian polity impact its functioning? [Reference: Indian Express]