Daily Practice Sheet 21 June 2020
- June 21, 2020
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPS
On this Day
21st June is celebrated as International Yoga Day. It is the longest day of the year and called as summer solstice. Solstices are opposite on either side of the equator, so the summer solstice in the Northern Hemisphere is the winter solstice in the Southern Hemisphere, and vice versa.
- Galwan Valley
- Galwan and Shyok River
- Article 80
- Fourth Schedule
Coal is the main source of energy in India as it fulfils almost 67 per cent of the total commercial energy consumed in the country.
Gondwana coal: Around 98 per cent of India’s total coal reserves are from Gondwana times. This coal is older in origin.
Tertiary coal is of younger age. It was formed from 15 to 60 million years ago.
In 2017, India had 315.14 billion metric tons (347.38 billion short tons) of coal.
Jharkhand and Odisha are top coal producing states.
The all India Production of coal during 2019-20 were 729.10 MT (Provisional) with a positive growth was 0.05%. Coal India Limited (CIL) and its subsidiaries accounted for 606.89 million tonnes during 2018-19 as compared to a production of 567.36 million tonnes in 2017-18 showing a growth of 6.9%.
Daily Mains Mantra
GS 1: Geography
- Discuss strategic importance of Galwan Valley? [Reference: The Hindu]
- Discuss the distribution of coal resources in India.
GS 2: Polity
- Do you agree with opinion that Rajya Sabha’s importance has grown as with growing diversity of Indian polity? [Reference: Hindustan Times, The Hindu] ( Daily Answer Writing Session)
GS 3: Economy
- Indian forex reserves crossed $500 bn mark for the first time in history during pandemic. Discuss [Reference: Live Mint]
- The recent move to untether the coal sector making maximum cola available in the market will fuel the vision of Atmanirbhar Bharat. Analyze