Daily Practice Sheet 23 June 2020
- June 23, 2020
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPS
On this Day
Nation pays tribute to Syama Prasad Mookerjee on his death anniversary. He founded Bharatiya Jana Sangh in 1951. He served as the Minister for Industry and Supply in Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru’s cabinet.
Daily Prelims Topics
- Ban on H-1B visa (Visa categories)
- What is RIC
- What is Basel Committee on Banking Supervision( Context RBI discussion paper on Bank Governance)
- EEZ and continental Self:
- Shyama Prasad Mookherjee
- 74th Constitutional Amendment ( No financial devolution, SFC)
- Patent PoolingAlbany Agreement ,Nagoya Protocol
- Pongong Lake
- 74th Constitutional Amendment
Urban local bodies finance:
- ULBs own revenues constitute only a third of total receipts.
- According to a study by ICRIER, property tax contributes to around 20 per cent on an average to total revenues of ULBs in India
- The average per capita property tax collection was ₹421 in 2017-18.
India China Trade Deficit:
- As per recent study India can potentially reduce its trade deficit with China by $8.4 billion over FY21-22, which is equivalent to 17.3% of the deficit with China and 0.3% of India’s GDP
- India’s imports from China totalled $65.1 billion in fiscal 2020 and exports at $16.6 billion.
- It led to a trade deficit of $48.5 billion.
- Chinese imports contributed to over 30% of India’s aggregate trade deficit.
- Over the past 3 decades, India’s exports to China grew at a CAGR of 30% but its imports expanded at 47%..
Daily Mains Mantra
GS 1: History
- Assess the contribution of Shyama Prasad Mookherjee to national unity and integration. [Reference: Indian Express]
GS 1: Geography
- India is fourth largest country in terms of availability of coal reserves, but we still import a substantial amount of coal. Can you explain this paradox?[Reference: The Hindu Businessline]
GS 2: Polity
- COVID-19 pandemic has exposed the vulnerabilities of urban areas. Do you think Urban Local Bodies are adequately financed to tackle this challenge? [Reference: The Hindu Businessline] (Daily answer writing discussion)
- Do you think Indian government and state governments have done enough to flatten the corona curve? Critically examine [Reference: The Hindu Businessline, The Wire]
- Examine India-China trade in the last two decades. How has the growing trade deficit impacted India’s option in resolving border dispute with China? [Reference: The Hindu]
GS 3: Economy
- Do you think the main issue plaguing PSBs is corporate governance? Discuss in the light of recent RBI discussion paper. [Reference: The Hindu Businessline]
GS 3: Science and Technology
- What do you understand by intellectual property rights? Explain the concept of patent pooling and its relevance. (Daily answer writing discussion)
GS 3: Security
- What do you understand by lone wolf attack? Discuss India’s vulnerability and preparedness in this regard. [Reference: The Hindu]
GS 4: Ethics
- What do you understand by role model? What makes someone as a role model for masses? Who is your role model and why? [Reference: Indian Express] (Daily answer writing discussion)
- What do you understand by selflessness? Have you come across selfless person? [Reference: Indian Express] (Daily answer writing discussion)
- What do you understand by conflict of interest? How affects bank governance? [Reference: The Hindu Businessline]