Daily Practice Sheet 25 June 2020
- June 25, 2020
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPS
History on this Day
The state of emergency was declared by the then President Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed on June 25, 1975. It came into effect from June 26, 1976, and lasted till March 21, 1977.
Personality of the Day
- Indira Gandhi
Daily Prelims Topic
- Cooperative Banks
- Tariff-Rate Quotas (TRQs)
- 2020 Global Education Monitoring Report
- Animal husbandry infra fund
- Global Education Monitoring Report 2020
- World Economic Outlook of the International Monetary Fund (IMF)
- What is International Criminal Court
- Satyendranath Tagore
- Sir Aurobindo Ghosh-150th Birth Anniversary
- 1905 Swadeshi Movement
- Depsang Plains
- Art 340
- Art 352
Important Supreme Court Case:
Supreme Court of India in Swaraj Abhiyan (Swaraj Abhiyan vs Union of India and Ors) and Prashant Bhushan directed GOI to implement Disaster Management Act. It directed the government to prepare National Plan on disaster, a National Disaster Response Fund, or NDRF, and a National Disaster Mitigation Fund, or NDMF.
Source: The Hindu
World Economic Outlook
As per an update of the World Economic Outlook of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) the world’s gross domestic product (GDP) is set to contract by 4.9% in 2020.
- According to a UNESCO Global Education Monitoring report 2020 about 40% of low- and lower-middle-income countries have not supported learners at risk of exclusion during this crisis, such as the poor, linguistic minorities and learners with disabilities.
- During the height of school closures in April 2020, almost 91% of students around the world were out of school.
- 55% of low-income, 73% of lower-middle-income and 93% of upper-middle-income countries adopted for online learning platforms for primary and secondary education.
Source: The Hindu
The foreign direct investment (FDI) limit in defence manufacturing through the automatic route has now been raised from 49% to 74%.
SBI report on income of people
The study expects India’s per capita income to fall by 5.4% to about ₹143,000 in 2020-21 from ₹152,000 last year. This contraction would be greater than the 3.8% decline expected in nominal gross domestic product. On a positive note, the report forecasts a V-shaped recovery next year, but cautions that it may take at least until 2023-24 to recover our pre-pandemic growth levels.
Source: Live Mint
Daily Mains Mantra
GS 1: History
- Discuss the contribution of Lal-Bal-Pal to the freedom struggle movement. [Reference: The Hindu]
- Who were moderates during freedom struggle movement? Why did they fail in their objectives? [Reference: The Hindu]
- Critically examine the reasons behind declaring emergency by Indira Gandhi. [Reference: Indian Express]
- Assess the impact of emergency declared by Indira Gandhi. What lessons it holds for today. [Reference: Indian Express]
GS 2: Polity
- Discuss the concept of democracy. What do you understand by true democracy? Do you consider Indian democracy as true democracy? [Reference: Indian Express]
- Discuss emergency provisions and their safeguards in the constitution.
Source: Indian Polity by Mr. Laxmikant
- What is the mandate of International Criminal Court? How effective deterrent it has been against crimes against humanity? [Reference: The Hindu]
GS 3: Economy
- Defence production can boost India’s manufacturing sector. In this regard critically examine the challenges in Defence production in India. [Reference: Live Mint]
GS 4: Ethics
- What do you understand by professional integrity? Explain with examples. [Reference: Indian Express]
- What do you understand by committed bureaucracy? Is committed bureaucracy dangerous to Indian democracy?
- What do you understand by stress? What is its root cause? How finding meaning in life is the best cure of stress? [Reference: The Hindu]
- “The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each Citizen to defend it.” Comment [Reference: The Hindu]