Daily Practice Sheet 30 January 2021
- January 30, 2021
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPS
Daily Practice Sheet
30 January 2021
All 6 Prelims qualified
4 CSE Mains qualified
If I can do it, you can too
Daily Prelims Topic
- Bare Necessity Index:
- Contempt of Court
- Disclosure of Interest in RTI application only when application seeks personal info
- Strategic sector:
- Central Issue Price:
- Doomsday clock
- The history of ‘Joy Bangla
- Fcra amendment
- Gig economy
- PM JAY
- How Economic Survey has projected a growth of 11% and Base Year
The Survey called for increasing the public healthcare spending from 1 per cent of GDP to 2.5-3 per cent so that out-of-pocket expenditure (OOPE) reduces from the current 65 per cent to 35 per cent.
- Around 74percent of outpatient care and 65 percent of hospitalization care is provided through private sector in urban India.
Research and Investment
- As per Economic survey 2020-21, India’s gross expenditure on R&D at 0.65 per cent of GDP is much lower than that of the top 10 economies (1.5-3 per cent of GDP) primarily because of the disproportionately lower contribution from the business sector
- The private sector in the country needs to increase spends from 37 per cent to 68 per cent.
Internet and Broadband penetration
- The Internet and broadband penetration both in urban and rural areas has grown at a rapid pace and the number of subscribers (both broadband and narrowband put together) stood at 776.45 million at the end of September 2020 as compared to 636.73 million in March 2019.
- The average monthly wireless data consumption per subscriber had risen to 12.2 GB in June 2020 from 9.1 GB in March 2019.
Food processing sector:
In the last five years ending 2018-19, with the sector registering an annual growth of nearly 10 per cent as compared to 3.12 per cent in agriculture and 8.25 per cent in manufacturing at 2011-12 prices
It called for a revision in central issue price, which remained at ₹ 2 and ₹ 3 per kg for wheat and rice respectively since 2013. According to the Survey, the economic cost of wheat has increased from ₹ 1,908.32 per quintal in 2013-14 to ₹ 2,683.84 in 2020-21 while that of rice has increased from ₹ 2,615.51 per quintal in 2013-14 to ₹ 3,723.76 in 2020-21.
Gender divide in employment
Comprising just about a fourth of the country’s total estimated 51.82 crore labour force, women lag far behind their male counterparts. (Survey)
India’s T&D losses is more than 20% which is more than global average. (Economic survey 2020-21).
Daily Mains Mantra
GS 1: History
- Discuss the symbolics and architectural grandeur of red fort. [Reference: Indian Express]
- Shah Jahan left behind a grand legacy of structures constructed during his reign. Discuss
GS 2: Polity
- Indian democracy is in flux today. Discuss challenges it is facing presently and what should be the approach to come out of it successfully. [Reference: Indian Express]
Economic Survey Special Edition
GS 2: Governance
- Health Crisis can be transformed into economic and social crisis. Comment. [Reference: Business Line]
- Discuss the need for health sector regulator. [Reference: Business Line]
GS 3: Economy
- “The risks from doing too little are much more than the risks from doing too much.” In this context discuss what is counter-cyclical fiscal policy and the need of higher fiscal spending for growth. [Reference: Indian Express, Financial Express]
- “Reliance on Juggad hurts innovation”. In this context discuss the need of more R&D role of private sector in India. [Reference: Indian Express]
- “Forbearance an emergency medicine, not staple diet”. Discuss the need of a fresh Asset Quality Review (AQR) to end India’s continued NPA woes. [Reference: Financial Express, Financial Express]
- Policies need to create enabling infrastructure and promote non-discriminatory practices at the workplace to incentivize more women to join the workforce. Elaborate. [Reference: Financial Express]
- Examine the approach of focusing on economic growth over policies to address inequality. [Reference: Financial Express]