Daily Practice Sheet 4 August 2020
- August 4, 2020
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPS
Daily Prelims Topic
- Time capsule
- Rapid Acceleration of Diagnostics (RADx) initiative.
- Electronic Vaccine Intelligence Network
- Somnath temple
- Real and nominal lending rate
- Seed Terrorism
- Savings rate and interest rate
- Cytokine storm
- Happy Hypoxia
- Aegean Sea
- A country with an elderly population of about 150 million (about half the population of the US) with no social security protection worth the name.
- India’s savings at 30.1 per cent of the GDP in 2018-19 are already at a 15-year low, largely owing to a drop in household savings from 23 per cent of the GDP in 2012 to 18 per cent today. Over half of these savings are in financial instruments
Horticulture and FPO:
- There are about 10,000 FPOs, promoted by Small Farmers’ Agri-business Consortium through State governments, NABARD and the private sector.
- Horticultural crops (vegetables, fruits and flowers) account for 13.08 per cent of the cropped area and contribute to about 30 per cent of India’s agricultural GDP.
- The top five states in horticulture — Uttar Pradesh, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, West Bengal and Maharashtra — account for almost 40 per cent of the cropped area.
- By 2023, India’s internet users will increase by 40% and the number of smartphone users will double (McKinsey).
Daily Constitution Articles
- Article 370
- Article 129
- Committees on Centre-state relations: Sarkaria and Puchhi Commission.
Daily Mains Mantra
- Freedom of speech and expression was the “ultimate guardian” of values upheld in the Constitution. Discuss. [Reference: The Hindu]
GS 3: Environment
- What is locust attack? Analyze the reason behind such locust attacks. Suggest measures to control it in the future. [Reference: Indian Express]
GS 3: Economy
- India has imposed restrictions on television imports much of which are sourced from Vietnam and China, by placing them in the restricted category. In this context, critically analyse the move of import restriction to fuel domestic manufacturing. [Reference: Indian Express]
- Discuss the significance and scope of horticulture in India. What are the challenges in the sector? Discuss FPO’s can help the horticulture sector? [Reference: Business Line]
- Examine the measures taken to boost exports. [Reference: Financial Express]
GS 3: Security
GS 4: Ethics
- Joint family system not only ensures intergenerational transmission of values and wisdom but also acts as a social security provider to its members. Discuss [Reference: PIB]