Daily Practice Sheet 6 July 2020
- July 6, 2020
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPS
Daily Prelims Topic
- Sindhu Darshan Festival
- Global Environment Facility
- NFSA: Priority and Non-priority household
- Antyodaya Anna Yojna
- Compulsory license and Clause 92 of IP Act:
- Art 78
- SardarSarovar Dam
As against the sanctioned strength of 414,492 policemen for its nearly 23 crore population, UP has a little over 2.94 lakh cops. The ratio of cops to population is also woefully inadequate — while the sanctioned ratio of 183 cops per 1 lakh population is itself much less than the UN recommended levels of 222 cops per lakh of population, the actual ratio is barely 130 per lakh.
Chinese Import dependence:
- Drugs:India is the world’s largest producer of generic drugs. But nearly 70% of the active pharmaceutical ingredients (API) required to make them are majorly imported from China — API gives a drug its therapeutic value. For penicillin, China is the sole supplier of API. China also supplies APIs for antibiotics such as oxytetracycline (100% API from China) and tetracycline (98%), blood thinner Heparin (86.3%), and vitamins. Surce
- Electronics: India imports nearly 43% of electronics parts from China.
- India imported Rs 71,000 crore worth power equipment including Rs 21,000 crore from China.
India has been a net exporter of agri-produce. The golden year of agri-trade, however, was 2013-14. That year agri-exports peaked at $43.6 billion while imports were $18.9 billion, giving a net trade surplus of $24.7 billion.
In 2019-20 agri-exports were just $36 billion, and the net agri-trade surplus at $11.2 billion.
MSME:The sector contributes about 30 per cent of the GDP, 50 per cent of our exports and employs about 11 crore people across 6.33 crore units.
Daily Mains Mantra
GS 2: Polity
- Indian Secularism is based on the pluralist and syncretic character of the society with Sarva Dharma Sambhava being the guiding principle. Examine [Reference: The Hindu]
GS 3: Economy
- “Globalization was deflationary and its reversal will be inflationary”. Comment [Reference: Live Mint]
- Examine the role of FDI in economic development. Do you think that unchecked FDI can lead to economic colonialization? Argue in the case of Chinese investments in India. [Reference: Live Mint]
- Discuss the need for diversification of agriculture. [Reference: Indian Express]
GS 3: Science and Technology
- Liberalizing India’s space sector is a necessary condition for the country to achieve greater self-reliance not just in space, but in the broader high technology domain. Discuss in the light of recent decision of creation of new agency, the Indian National Space Promotion and Authorization Centre (IN-SPACe). [Reference: Live Mint]
GS 4: Ethics
- What do you understand by “Business Ethics”? Do you think it is oxymoron? [Reference: Live Mint]
- Many argue that in developing and poor country ethics is a luxury good? Examine why ethics is more important in developing countries. [Reference: Live Mint]
- What do you understand by selflessness? [Reference: ASHSA workers in covid-19 duty]
- What do you understand by morale? Why it is significant in public service? [Reference: Deccan Chronicle]