Daily Practice Sheet 8 July 2021
- July 8, 2021
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPS
Daily Practice Sheet
8 July 2021
Daily Prelims Topic
- New online platform maps Pegasus spread
- Implication of US withdrawal from Afghan & Change of India’s Policy
- Bhalia variety of wheat was exported today
- Genomic Variants of Oral Cancer Database (dbGENVOC)
- Cabinet reshuffle
- Department of Public Enterprises
- Peak power demand
- Consumption of animal protein
- The Total Fertility Rate (TFR), presently at 2.2 children, will soon reach replacement level (2.1)
- India has slipped 28 places to rank 140th among 156 countries, becoming the third-worst performer in South Asia in The World Economic Forum’s (WEF) Global Gender Gap Report (2021).
- There is a decline in maternal mortality ratio (MMR) from 327 in 1999-2001 to113 per 100,000 live births in 2016-18, as per Sample Registration System (SRS) data.
- 218 million additional people (168 million in rural and 50 million in urban areas) would have been pushed into poverty at 12 per cent contraction in their monthly per capita consumption in the year 2020-21.
- In January 2021, Oxfam India’s report ‘The Inequality Virus’ showed that the wealth of India’s 100 billionaires increased by ₹12,97,822 crores since March 2020 while millions lost their jobs due to the economic crisis. In January 2020, the report also revealed that 1 per cent hold more than four times the wealth held by 953 million people who make up the bottom 70 per cent of the country’s population.
Daily Mains Mantra
GS 1: Society
GS 2: Polity
- The size of the cabinet should be as big as governmental work justifies and as big as the Prime Minister can manage as a team. How far the efficacy of a government then is inversely related to the size of the cabinet? Discuss.
- Discuss the challenge of poverty in India. Has the pandemic worsened it? [Reference: Indian Express]
GS 3: Economy
- India has entered a demographic sweet spot that will continue for another two to three decades. [Reference: The Hindu]
- What is inequality? How can it be measured? Discuss the impact of covid pandemic on inequality in India. [Reference: Business Line]
- What do you understand by peak demand power? Why has peak demand power in India decreased in recent times?
GS 3: Environment