- June 17, 2020
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject: Science and tech
Dexamethasone became the first drug proved to improve survival from Covid-19
- Researchers from UK found dexamethasone given either orally or through an IV, after 28 days reduced deaths by 35% in patients who needed treatment with breathing machines and by 20% in those only needing supplemental oxygen.
- It did not appear to help less ill patients.
- Dexamethasone is a generic steroidwidely used in other diseases to reduce inflammation.
- It is used to treat a range of diseases including rheumatism, asthma, allergies and even to help cancer patients better handle the nausea triggered by chemotherapy.
- Steroid drugs reduce inflammation, which sometimes develops in Covid-19 patients as the immune system overreacts to fight the infection. This overreaction can prove fatal, so doctors have been testing steroids and other anti-inflammatory drugs in such patients.