- March 10, 2021
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject : Current events / Government Schemes
Context : According to official data on the DigiDhan Dashboard, the total number of digital transactions between April 1, 2020, and March 8, 2021,stood at 4,877.51 crore, against the 4,579.94 crore transactions clocked in 2019-20.
- Hon’ble Finance Minister in his Budget Speech of FY 2017-18, announced a target of 2,500 crore digital transaction for 2017-18 and had announced that a dedicated Mission shall be set up for this purpose.
- In pursuance of this vision, “DIGIDHAN Mission” has been set under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), with an objective to achieve the target of 2500 crore digital payment transactions in financial year 2017-18 and to enable digital payment infrastructure throughout the country.
- The Digidhan mission will not only work on spreading literacy about online payments, but will also undertake promotion of best practices, processes, adoption and on-boarding systems across the ecosystem for a wide and quick uptake.
- To monitor the growth of digital payments, MeitY has developed “Digidhan Dashboard”, a platform for accurate reporting, monitoring and analysis of all digital payments transactions occurring in the country and enablement of infrastructure through deployment of Physical/Mobile/BHIM AadhaarPoS devices.
- It will help in tracking the growth of digital payment transactions in the country and will provide inputs for effective planning of digital payment promotional activities.
- The Dashboard includes data of various modes of digital payment transactions. It provides two levels of access.
- General access provides details of growth of digital payment and related infrastructure. Privileged access is given to the stakeholders to review their performance for better implementation and promotion of digital payments.