- December 3, 2021
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject – Governance
Context – TN directs Departments to adopt DigiLocker
- DigiLocker, a flagship initiative of the Union Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) under the Digital India Programme, is a platform to access the documents and certificates issued by an authority and digitally verify the same, thus eliminating the use of physical documents.
- DigiLocker is a secure cloud based platform for storage, sharing and verification of documents & certificates.
- This is government’s effort to create an electronic version of documents, which can be easily verified and stored in printable format.
- The users can store their documents such as insurance, medical reports, PAN card, passport, marriage certificate, school certificate and other documents in the digital format.
- The locker can be accessed by individuals, using their mobile number.
- Technology companies such as Google and Dropbox offer storage space for users to store documents.
- Apart from e-documents, DigiLocker can store a Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) link of e-documents issued by various issuer departments.