Discuss India national security challenges emerging from the borders. Also throw light on Comprehensive Integrated Border Management System (CIBMS) in this context.
- January 16, 2021
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPS Topics
Introduce with mentioning India’s long land and coastline also making it vulnerable to host of threats. Bring out different threats a from across the border (take care to include coastal security as well). Finally, Talk about CIBMS and its benefits.
India with 15106.7 kms of the land border and 7516.6 kms of coastline needs an effective border management strategy for national security. Chinese border clashes and other threats existing 24*7 has enormous challenges for India’s national security.
Body: First draw India’s map showing security challenge and then talk of different dimension of challenges:
- 2-Front war: Talk of Threat from North as well as West with both China and Pakistan being allies.
- Fluid and unclear boundaries across the border, specifically in eastern border i.e., Geographically diverse and hostile border
- Island of democracy amidst anarchical and unstable states
- Border areas lack of development and peace (Ex- Concerns in J&K after art 370 and art 35 withdrawal)
- Cross border terrorism from Pakistan borders
- Coastal vulnerability (Ex- 2008 terrorist attacks)
- Golden triangle and Golden crescent threat promoting Narco-terrorism across border
Part 2: Discuss what is CIBMS and its role in border security
It is a robust and comprehensive system which integrates manpower, sensors, networks, intelligence and command and control structure. This integration aims at increased situational awareness at different levels of hierarchy for prompt and quick decision as well as response.
Significance/Concerns of CIBMS:
Border security apart from focusing of border infrastructure and aggressive strategy for defence needs to include development of border region in framework to make strategy more effective.