EAT RIGHT CAMPAIGN
- February 20, 2022
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
EAT RIGHT CAMPAIGN
Context- Four police stations in the national capital’s New Delhi district have been designated as ‘Eat Right Campus’ by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) for providing nutritious and wholesome meals daily to police personnel at their canteens.
Eat Right India Movement:
- Eat Right India is a flagship mission of FSSAI, which aims at ensuring that the citizens of the country get safe and nutritious food.
- Under this initiative, ‘Sehatmand Delhi’ programme has been launched to identify premises that can be recognised as ‘Eat Right Campus’.
- The New Delhi district took up this initiative to focus on the health of its personnel across canteens, kitchens and mess in the district.
- The programme included audit of the campus, capacity building, training and sensitisation, creation of standard operating procedures. Successful completion of these activities lead to the recognition of the campus as Eat Right Campus by FSSAI.
- This movement is aligned with the government’s flagship public health programmes such as POSHAN Abhiyaan, Anemia Mukt Bharat, Ayushman Bharat Yojana and Swachh Bharat Mission.
- The movement aims to cut down salt/sugar and oil consumption by 30% by 2022.
- Eat Right India’s vision for 2050 is about creating a culture of safe, healthy and sustainable food for all.
- It also aims to engage and enable citizens to improve their health and well-being by making the right food choices.
- FSSAI has prescribed a limit for Total Polar Compounds (TPC) at 25% in cooking oil to avoid the harmful effects of reused cooking oil.
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is an autonomous statutory body established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 (FSS Act).
- Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India is the administrative Ministry of FSSAI with its Headquarters in Delhi.
- Various acts were subsumed & repealed after commencement of FSS Act, 2006.
- Prevention of Food Adulteration Act, 1954
- Fruit Products Order, 1955
- Meat Food Products Order, 1973
- Vegetable Oil Products (Control) Order, 1947
- Edible Oils Packaging (Regulation) Order 1988
- Milk and Milk Products Order, 1992
- FSSAI is responsible for protecting and promoting public health through the regulation and supervision of food safety.