Energy Conservation Day
- December 14, 2021
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
Energy Conservation Day
Subject – Environment
Context – In India, National Energy Conservation Day is observed every year on 14th December to raise awareness about the significance of energy and the need of conserving energy by using less energy.
- The National Energy Conservation Day is organized on 14th December every year by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) with an aim to showcase India’s achievements in energy efficiency and conservation.
- Energy conservation is an important factor in lessening climate change. It helps the replacement of non-renewable resources with renewable energy.
- Energy conservation is frequently the most cost-effective solution to energy shortages, as well as a more ecologically friendly option than increasing energy output.
- The National Energy Conservation Awards are given on the occasion.
- It is different from the term ‘energy efficiency’, which is using technology that requires less energy to perform the same function.
Energy Conservation Act, 2001
- The Act provides for the legal framework, institutional arrangement and a regulatory mechanism at the Central and State level to embark upon energy efficiency drive in the country.
- Five major provisions of EC Act relate to
- Designated Consumers,
- Standard and Labelling of Appliances,
- Energy Conservation Building Codes,
- Creation of Institutional Set up (BEE)
- Establishment of Energy Conservation Fund.
- The Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) was set up as the statutory body in 2002 at the central level to facilitate the implementation of the EC Act. It functions under the Ministry of Power.
National Energy Conservation Awards
- On this day, National Energy Conservation Awards are given away to honour innovation and accomplishments in energy conservation by industries, buildings, and manufacturers of BEE star labelled appliances, as well as raise awareness that energy conservation is an important part of India’s response to reducing global warming through energy savings.
- The awards also honour their demonstrated commitment to energy efficiency and conservation.
Bureau of Energy Efficiency
- The BEE is a statutory body established through the Energy Conservation Act, 2001 under the Union Ministry of Power.
- It assists in developing policies and strategies with the primary objective of reducing the energy intensity of the Indian economy.
- BEE coordinates with designated consumers, designated agencies, and other organizations to identify and utilize the existing resources and infrastructure, in performing its functions.