- February 22, 2021
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Context: The Government in Puducherry faced crisis ahead of the floor test when 2 more party MLAs resigned.
- Floor test is a constitutional mechanism done on the floor of lower house to ensure whether the executive enjoys the confidence of the legislature.
- Under this a Chief Minister appointed by the Governor can be asked to prove majority on the floor of the Legislative Assembly of the state.The Chief Minister resigns if he fails to prove majority.
- The majority is counted based on those present and voting. This can also be done through a voice vote where the member can respond orally or through division voting.
Composite Floor Test
- It is the mechanism which is conducted only when more than one person stakes claim to form the government.
- When the majority is not clear, the governor might call for a special session to see who has the majority based on the members present and voting.