Food Safety and Standards (Packaging and Labelling) First Amendment Regulations 2020
- August 27, 2020
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has notified new regulations that will make mandatory the display of the calorie count of food products on menu cards for restaurant chains and online food aggregators by 2022
- Food service establishments (restaurants) having central licences or outlets at 10 or more locations will need to display the “calorific value in kcal per serving and serving size” of food items on menu cards, booklets or boards.
- Even e-commerce food business operators will need to get their restaurant partners to display calorie information of food products on their digital platforms
- Consultation with industry stakeholders on the Food Safety and Standards (Packaging and Labelling) First Amendment Regulations 2020 were on for the past two years.
- FSSAI believe this will empower consumers in making the right food choices. Compliance with these regulations before January 1, 2022, will be voluntary.