- May 8, 2021
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject : International Organisations
Context : India To Get Between 190 To 250 Million Subsidised Covid Vaccines: Gavi
- Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunization is a public-private global health partnership committed to increasing access to immunization in poor countries
- It is a global Vaccine Alliance with the goal of creating equal access to new and underused vaccines for children living in the world’s poorest countries.
- It does this by bringing together all the stakeholders – donor governments, developing countries, World Bank, UNICEF, WHO, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, international finance and development organizations, and pharmaceutical industry – in one decision making body
- Gavi was launched in 2000. It is based in Geneva, Switzerland
- India started receiving support for its immunization programme from GAVI in 2002. Apart from that, India is the largest supplier of vaccines to GAVI.