Genome India Project
- June 6, 2020
- Posted by: admin
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject: Science and tech
The Genome India Project has submitted a fresh proposal to Delhi to examine samples of a thousand Covid-19-infected Indians.
- The Genome India Project aims to map the diversity of India’s genetic pool, and “lay the bedrock of personalised medicine.”
- The Rs 238-crore project, which will be a collaboration between 20 Indian research institutions, with the Indian Institute of Science’s Centre for Brain Research serving as its nodal point
- In its first stage, it develops a reference Indian genome using genetic samples from 10,000 persons across India.
- This will enable greater medicinal efficiency in terms of preventive interventions and customised treatments
- The stage two was always meant to be about another batch of 10,000 of Indian samples with diseases, of three broad categories — non-communicable diseases like cardio-vascular and diabetes, mental illnesses and cancer.