Global Environment Facility
- July 6, 2020
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
Beijing made new territorial claim on eastern Bhutan while objecting to a request to develop the Sakteng wildlife sanctuary in eastern Bhutan’s Trashigang district at an online meeting of the Global Environment Facility (GEF).
- The Global Environment Facility (GEF) was established on the eve of the 1992 Rio Earth Summitto help tackle our planet’s most pressing environmental problems.
- GEF is an international partnership of 183 countries, international institutions, civil society organizations and the private sector that addresses global environmental issues.
- It is independently operated as a financial organization that provides grants for projects related to biodiversity, climate change, international waters, land degradation, the ozone layer, persistent organic pollutants (POPs), mercury, sustainable forest management, food security, sustainable cities.
- The GEF provides funding to assist developing countries in meeting the objectives of international environmental conventions.
- The GEF serves as a “financial mechanism” to five conventions: Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD), United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs), UN Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD), and Minamata Convention on Mercury.