- August 2, 2020
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject: Science and tech
China has officially commissioned the navigation system BeiDou
- The GPS is owned by the US government and operated by the US Air Force.
- Apart from this, Russia has its navigation system called GLONASS, the European Union (EU) has Galileo, while India’s is called Navigation with Indian Constellation (NavIC).
- GPS is a satellite navigation system used to determine the ground position of an object.
- GPS technology was first used by the United States military in the 1960s and expanded into civilian use over the next few decades.
- GPS receivers are included in many commercial products, such as automobiles, smartphones, exercise watches, and GIS devices.