- February 18, 2022
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
Context- To reduce carbon emissions and boost domestic production of green hydrogen to 5 million tonnes by 2030, the Centre announced the green hydrogen/ ammonia policy.
Green Hydrogen Policy:
- Policy offers free transmission for 25 years.
- Focus on inter-State transmission connectivity.
- Plans to set up zones to manufacture green hydrogen and ammonia.
- Land for storage will be provided by the respective port authorities at applicable rates.
- The government is planning to mandate that oil refining, fertiliser and steel sectors, which are key users of hydrogen and ammonia, use green hydrogen for a certain proportion of their requirements.
- Hydrogen is one of the most abundant elements on earth for a cleaner alternative fuel option.
- Green hydrogen is produced by electrolysis of water using renewable energy (like Solar, Wind).
- Electricity splits water into hydrogen and oxygen.
- By Products : Water, Water Vapor.
- Green hydrogen can drive India’s transition to clean energy, combat climate change.
- India has a favourable geographic location and abundance of sunlight and wind for the production of green hydrogen.