- October 29, 2021
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject – Governance
Context – Home Ministry ‘assessing’ challenges to coastal security, says Amit Shah
- The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) discharges multifarious responsibilities, the important among them being – internal security, border management, Centre-State relations, administration of Union Territories, management of Central Armed Police Forces, disaster management, etc.
- Though in terms of Entries 1 and 2 of List II – ‘State List’ – in the Seventh Schedule to the Constitution of India, ‘public order’ and ‘police’ are the responsibilities of States, Article 355 of the Constitution enjoins the Union to protect every State against external aggression and internal disturbance and to ensure that the Government of every State is carried on in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution.
- In pursuance of these obligations, the Ministry of Home Affairs continuously monitors the internal security situation, issues appropriate advisories, shares intelligence inputs, extends manpower and financial support, guidance and expertise to the State Governments for maintenance of security, peace and harmony without encroaching upon the constitutional rights of the States.
- The Home Ministry is also the cadre controlling authority for the Indian Police Service (IPS), DANIPS and DANICS.
- Police-I Division of the ministry is the cadre controlling authority in respect of the Indian Police Service; whereas, the UT Division is the administrative division for DANIPS.
Departments under home Ministry –
- Department Of Border Management
- Department of Border Management, dealing with the management of borders, including coastal borders, strengthening of border guarding and creation of related infrastructure, border areas development, etc
- Department Of Internal Security
- Department of Internal Security, dealing with the Indian Police Service, Central Police Forces, internal security and law &order,insurgency, terrorism, Naxalism, activities of inimical foreign agencies, terrorist financing, rehabilitation, grant of visa and other immigration matters, security clearances,”Protection of Human Rights Act and also matters relating to National integration and Communal Harmony and Ayodhya”, etc
- Department Of Jammu, Kashmir And Ladakh Affairs
- Department of Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh Affairs deals with the UTs of Jammu,Kashmir&Ladakh, administration of the Armed Forces(J&K) Special Powers Act,1990 (21 of 1990).
- Department Of Home
- Dealing with the notification of assumption of office by the President and Vice-President, notification of appointment/resignation of the Prime Minister, Ministers, Governors, nomination to Rajya Sabha/Lok Sabha, Census of the population, registration of births and deaths, etc
- Department Of Official Language
- Dealing with the implementation of the provisions of the Constitution relating to official languages and the provisions of the Official Languages Act, 1963.
- Department Of States
- Dealing with Centre-State relations, Inter-State relations, administration of Union Territories, Freedom Fighters’ pension, Human rights, Prison Reforms, Police Reforms, etc.
The Department of Internal Security, Department of States, Department of Home, Department of Jammu and Kashmir Affairs and Department of Border Management do not function in watertight compartments. They all function under the Union Home Secretary and are inter-linked.
There is a designated Secretary for Department of Border Management and Internal Security also.
Attached / Subordinated Offices
- Assam Rifles
- Border Security Force (BSF)
- Bureau of Police Research and Development (BPR&D)
- Central Industrial Security Force (CISF)
- Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF)
- Civil Defence, Ministry of Home Affairs
- Directorate General of Fire Services, Civil Defence & Home Guards, Ministry of Home Affairs
- Directorate General-Fire Services, Civil Defense& Home Guards
- Directorate of Coordination Police Wireless
- Directorate of Forensic Science Services (DFSS)
- Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP)
- National Investigation Agency (NIA)
- National Security Guard (NSG)
- North Eastern Police Academy (NEPA)
- OFFICE OF THE CHIEF COMMISSIONER CENTRAL GST & CENTRAL EXCISE , RANCHI ZONE, PATNA.
- Office of the Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Census of India
- SashastraSeema Bal (SSB)
Statutory / Autonomous Bodies
- Bureau of Immigration (BoI), Ministry of Home Affairs
- Central Detective Training School, Chandigarh
- Central Detective Training School, Kolkata
- Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL), Bhopal
- Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL), Guwahati
- Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL), Hyderabad
- Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL), Pune
- Indo Tibetan Border Police Force Academy, Mussoorie, Uttarakhand
- Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB)
- National Civil Defence College, Nagpur
- National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA)
- National Fire Service College
- National Foundation for Communal Harmony (NFCH)
- National Institute of Disaster Management (NIDM)
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy.
Commissions/ Committees/ Missions
- Committee of Parliament on Official Language.
Schemes / Programmes and Missions
- Bharat Ke Veer – Make a contribution in honour of Indian Bravehearts
- Crime and Criminal Tracking Network and Systems (CCTNS)
- CyCord portal, Cyber Coordination Centre, MHA
- Cybercrime Reporting Portal by Ministry of Home Affairs
- Digital Police Portal by NCRB, MHA
- Emergency Response Support System with a single emergency number 112
- FCRA (Foreign Contribution Regulation Act) Online Services
- Gallantry Medals, Ministry of Home Affairs
- Indian Citizenship Online, Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA)
- Indian Police in Service of the Nation
- Information Management System, Department of Official Language, Ministry of Home Affairs
- National Cyclone Risk Mitigation Project (NCRMP)
- Natural Disaster Management
- Online Library Catalog, National Foundation for Communal Harmony (NFCH)
- Online Overseas Citizen Of India (OCI) Services
- Padma Awards Dashboard
- Padma Awards Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India
- e-Prosecution, Department of Prosecution, Ministry of Home Affairs.