India slips on global economic freedom index
- September 12, 2020
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
India slips 26 places to 105 in global economic freedom index
- According to the Economic Freedom of the World: 2020 report released by the Fraser Institute in Canada, India slipped 26 places to 105 among 162 countries and territories on the index of global economic freedom.
- The country ranked 79th in the previous edition of this report, which measures the ‘economic freedom’, or the ability of individuals to make their own economic decisions in a country, by analysing policies and institutions of these countries.
- It does so by looking at indicators like regulation, the freedom to trade internationally, size of government, property rights, government spending and taxation.
- India performed worse in terms of size of government, regulations and the freedom to trade internationally.