India-Sri Lanka in recent years has been in flux. In this context challenges of the relationship and what it means for India’s Indian Ocean strategy.
- January 9, 2021
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPS Topics
Throw light on the relationship in flux pointing to constant irritants as well as willingness for cooperation, while relationship status comes in question with the change in government.
1. What are the challenges in relationship?
- India’s Concern over 13th amendment and Tamil issue
- Developing port with Japan in Colombo
- Fisherman issues
- China’s increasing role
- Currency swap
- Domestic politics of Tamil Nadu influencing relations
2. Focus on why Indian Ocean is central to Indian geopolitical and security (Draw a map with Sri Lanka in it)
Show how Sri Lank important for:
- Addressing Chinese threat
- Trade through Indian Ocean
- Other Indian Ocean initiatives in which Sri Lank by its location as role
End with supporting an approach of talks, aid in the wake of Cocid-19 (vaccine diplomacy), separating India’s approach to Sri Lanka from Tamil Nadu’s politics prism