- May 23, 2022
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
Section: Art and Culture
- The temple is believed to be constructed in the 12th century by King AnatavarmanChodaganga Deva of the Eastern Ganga Dynasty.
- Jagannath Puri temple is called ‘YamanikaTirtha’ where, according to the Hindu beliefs, the power of ‘Yama’, the god of death has been nullified in Puri due to the presence of Lord Jagannath.
- This temple was called the “White Pagoda” and is a part of Char Dham pilgrimages (Badrinath, Dwaraka, Puri, Rameswaram).
- There are four gates to the temple- Eastern ‘Singhdwara’ which is the main gate with two crouching lions, Southern ‘Ashwadwara’, Western ‘VyaghraDwara and Northern ‘Hastidwara’. There is a carving of each form at each gate.
- In front of the entrance stands the Arunastambha or sun pillar, which was originally at the Sun Temple in Konark.
- Jagannath PuriYatrais the most famous Vaishnavite rituals observed in India and abroad.
- On the occasion, devotees pray to three deities – Lord Jagannath, Lord Balabhadra and Lordess Subhadra