- December 15, 2021
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject – IR
Context – South Korea: End to Korean War agreed to in principle
- The Korean War lasted from 1950 to 1953.
- North and South Korea have technically been at war ever since – backed by China and the US respectively – and locked in a tense relationship.
- The war began with an incursion across the 38th parallel, the boundary between North and South Korea, by 75,000 troops from the Communist North in June 1950.
- American troops supporting the South joined the war in the following months and the North Koreans, supported by China and the USSR, were pushed back.
- A bloody stalemate ensued and an armistice was signed between the US and North Korea in July 1953.