- October 10, 2020
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject: National Organisation
Context: The Labour Bureau would conduct three surveys on migration, domestic workers and professional bodies for evaluating the employment situation in the country especially during the coronavirus pandemic.
- Labour Bureau, an attached office under Ministry of Labour and Employment, was set up on 1st October 1946.
- It is entrusted with the work of compilation, collection, analysis and dissemination of statistics on different aspects of labour.
- Labour Bureau has two main wings stationed in Shimla and Chandigarh.
- The functions/activities of Labour Bureau can be classified under the following major heads:
- Compilation and maintenance of Consumer Price Index Numbers for Industrial Workers, Agricultural/Rural Labourers, Retail Price Index of Selected Essential Commodities in Urban Areas etc.
- Quick Employment Survey and Employment-Unemployment survey are also being conducted by Labour Bureau.