Last 10 Days Polity Revision Strategy for Prelims 2020
- September 22, 2020
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: Prelims
Last 10 Days Polity Revision Strategy for Prelims 2020
The clock is ticking and so is your anxiety level. It is just 10 more days to go for the UPSC Prelims 2020. I know the only question that must have been clouding your mind – how well am I going to perform in my upcoming Prelims! What sort of questions would even be asked this year!! Your anxiety makes sense but it does not mean letting it hamper your crucial preparation in these final days.
So to help you out in easing your anxiety and amp up your confidence, I have come up with a list of all the important topics in Polity along with the reasons to why they are very likely to appear in the UPSC Civil Services 2020 Prelims Paper. Go through each one of them and trust me it is going to be worth it!
Brace yourself up as here we go!!
In Constitutionalism, our focus must be on the following topics;
- Definition of constitutionalism& its principles
- Concept of liberty
- Democracy Index
- Freedom of Press Index
Because there has been a rising concern regarding India’s democratic tradition and a lot of cases have been registered against our journalists. We have seen a decline in rank for India in terms of both the Democracy Index & Freedom of Press Index.
Other topics which also demand your attention are;
- Presidential vs Parliamentary System
- Separation of Power
- Doctrine of Harmonious Construction
- Doctrine of Pith and Substance
A debate on whether India must move towards Presidential System creating a high separation of power was in news. One of the oldest cases – Babri Masjid vs Ram Mandir has finally been resolved, making the concept of secularism a must read for this year.
The above mentioned doctrines are important too as the same have been asked in the last year Mains Paper and may pave its way in the Prelims 2020 again. We never know!
Now let us move on to another important topic in subject of Polity, which is;
Historical Background [Refer M. Laxmikanth]
- Regulatory Act
- 1853, 1858, 1861, 1891 Acts
- 1909, 1919, 1935 Acts
Do not wonder why these Acts are significant for this year Prelims 2020. Let me tell you all why!
Does the Question Hour serve the need of the parliamentarians now? Has the time come to get done away with it? The debate on the same lines had just happened. Hence, making the 1853 Act a very significant one. As for the 1st time through this Act, Parliamentary Traditions were introduced in India and Question Hour was allowed.
Kindly make a quick reference to our Polity Bible – Indian Polity by M. Laxmikanth to better understand the scope of the remaining acts. This way, you will also make a quick revision of these important acts.
Moving forward, Making of Constitution is an evergreen topic of importance, you can find at least one question framed from this chapter every year.
- National Constitution day & Constituent assembly member selection(cabinet mission)
- Committees of constituent assembly
- Commencement of constitution
- Adoption of constitution
In Polity book by M. Laxmikanth, also focus on these topics to better up your preparation;
- Nature of Indian State
- Tables (Sources, Schedules)
Preamble resurfaces as to be the most important question for Prelims 2020, thanks to the course changing & landmark Kesavananda Bharati vs State of Kerala case.
Also go through various schedules and different tables mentioned in the book of Polity by M. Laxmikanth.
With the demise of seer Kesavananda Bharati, the amendment to the constitution along with its basic structure again becomes an important topic of discussion.
Constitutional Amendment and Emergency
- Within 368, out of 368;
- Basic Structure
- Amendment of preamble
- Financial Emergency
We are going through times of financial crisis, this makes the topic of Emergency especially the Financial Emergency so very important.
Let us talk about the procedure to create a new state, UTs & State Reorganization Act. It is likely to be asked because of the recent scrapping of Article 370, thereby splitting the erstwhile state of Jammu & Kashmir in two Union Territories.
Now let us deal with a very important chapter for this Prelims 2020. Yes, that is Citizenship!
We all know what flak and appreciation did the Citizenship Amendment Act garnered. It is advised to read the below mentioned topics in detail;
- Concept of citizens
- Citizen vs Alien
- Foreigner under Citizenship Act &foreign tribunal
- Fundamental Rights of citizens
- Modes of acquisition
- Modes of loss
- Citizenship Act
- Assam Accord
- NRC vs NPR
- 6 National minorities
- PIO, NRIs
Fundamental Rights along with the DPSPs and Fundamental Duties make up a good chunk of expected questions to be asked in Prelims 2020.
Human Rights are no doubt a significant topic to be covered. Recently, we have celebrated 70 years of Universal Declaration of Human Rights. During the Covid19 crisis, human rights become all the more important. The basic human rights of the migrants have made quite a few headlines in the last 6 months.
Therefore, emphasize more on the following sub – topics;
- Human Rights
- Instruments of HR (9 Conventions)
- UN Convention on child rights
- Reservation and FR
- Basics of Fundamental Rights
- Right to Equality
- Right to form cooperatives
- Art 21
- Preventive Detention
- Child rights protection commission
- Article 23 of the Constitution prohibit “forced labour”.
- FR Religion (Art 25.26)
- FR of minorities
- Act 32, Habeas Corpus
- Art 19 :Freedom of Speech and Expression, Freedom of movement and profession
Jammu & Kashmir politicians were under preventive detention for a quite some time now. Thus, this current development demands you to brush up your understanding on preventive detention. Whereas, the Bhima Koregaon case makes concept of Habeas Corpus important to revise.
The children of returnee migrants have been forced to serve as child labours, it serves as a cue to revise the Article 23 enshrined in our respected Constitution. Fundamental rights of minorities have also made it way in the daily news. The limited or no access to Internet to Jammu & Kashmir residents has raised the issue of freedom of speech & expression. So kindly go back and revise Article 19 without fail !
Here goes, some of the pivotal topics to look over in chapters of DPSPs & Fundamental Duties [Socialist, Liberal & Gandhian]
- 42 nd Amendment Act
- 103 RD CAA
- Fundamental duty
Legislature, Executive & the Judiciary cannot be forgotten when preparing Polity for Prelims this year. Parliament was shut down due to the rapid spread of Covid19 in India. Parliamentary sessions were under scrutiny of how and when it should be conducted. On similar lines, there has been recent development on Zero Hour of the Parliament &the Standing Committees.
Stress as much as you can on the following topics;
- Sessions of Parliament
- President and Parliament
- Zero hour
- Question hour: Types of question starred and unstarred
- Parliamentary control
- Consolidated Fund of India
- Delimitation Commission
- Parliamentary STANDING Committee
- Private Member BILL
- Office of profit
- Parliamentary privileges
- Nominated members
- Speaker and deputy speaker
- Bills – lapsing provisions
- RS election
- RS special powers
- State Legislative Council and its abolition
- Resignation of MLA
- Disqualification of member
- Business Advisory Committee
- No confidence Motion
- Floor test
- Governor and Assembly
- Caretaker Govt
- Adjournment of the house
- Prorogue of Parliament
- Joint Session of Parliament
- Motion of Thanks
- Nominated member
- Speaker Role in State Assembly
- Anglo Indian nomination
- Parliamentary conventions
- Money Bill
- Adjourn sine die
- Private Member’s Bills Passing
- Bill passing
- Sun set legislation
- Subordinate legislation and its committee
- Demand of grant
- Pro term speaker
- Speaker of assembly
- No confidence motion
There has been restructuring of Cabinet Committees happening. Impeachment of President of USA received a lot of attention worldwide, so it is better to revise what is the procedure of Impeachment of President of India.
During Covid19 times, all the orders are passed by Chief Secretary. Its functions become critical to appear in paper of Prelims 2020. Hence, put more focus on these topics in case of Executive;
- Cabinet Committee
- President power
- Impeachment of President
- Chief Secretary Selection
- Chief Secretary
- CM and COM
Indian Judiciary has been the centre of criticism of late due to its inability to protect the human rights. Even the Prashant Bhusan case makes us delve deeper into the concept of Contempt of Court.
So in chapter of Judiciary, the following sections must be thoroughly covered.
- Supreme Court: jurisdiction
- Independence of judiciary judges & their removal
- Increasing the judge number
- Role of SC and HC in protection of HR
- Transfer of judge
- Constitutional Bench
- High Court: creation, number of judges, removal of judge
- Procedure to establish a new one.
- Writs of HC vs SC
- Gram Nyayalayas
- Contempt of court
- Curative petition
- Special leave petition
- Chief Justice of India and HC
Federalism has been the highlight of Indian politics in 2019 – 20.GST becomes the heart of this topic here. Do understand the nitty – gritty of the GST Act. Below mentioned topics are crucial for Prelims 2020;
- 7th Schedule
- Inter – State Water Disputes
- Zonal Council
- 5th & 6th Schedule
- Federal Features
- 101st CAA
- GST Compensation Act [focus more on its financial aspect]
- Presidents rule and Art 356
- Governors appointment and removal
- Governor’s discretionary power
- Centre vs States
Rights issues become critical area of your study as Consumer Protection Act has been passed this year. United Nations Global Compact has also come up with its 10 principles as well as the minorities has been a burning issue in the recent current affairs.
- Consumer Rights
- Consumer Protection Act
- Rights of differently abled , UN 10 principles
- Minorities under Section-2 National Minorities Commission Act
The Statutory Bodies are a weighty topic because of the recent amendments in the HRA & CIC.
- NHRC(HRA amended)
- CIC(RIT amended)
- National Minorities Commission
- Lokpal and Lokayukta act
In Constitutional bodies, focus on the following topics;
- Finance Commission & Terms of reference of 15th FC
- Election Commission
- National Commission of SC, ST, OBC-341 342
- Controller General of Accounts
- Scheduled Tribes related provisions
Political parties have been in news, all thanks to the Anti Defection law. Union territories like Delhi & Puducherry are also seen constantly in news due to the controversies surrounding them.
- Parties: 10th schedule, Anti-defection law, Speakers power, whip, judicial review, National Parties, Doubtful voters
- UTs – Delhi – 239AA, Puducherry UT 239B, LG vs CM, 5th and 6th Schedule, Art 371, Inner permit line
PRIs are back to limelight during this Covid19 crisis. You cannot get away with the 74th Amendment Act. It has the highest chances of appearing in your question paper this year. Do not miss reading this!
State Election Commissioner Election in the state of Andhra Pradesh has again brought the topic of State Election Commission in news. Hence, making it to the list of important topics to be read for Prelims 2020.
Topics of focus must be;
- Mandatory & Discretionary Provisions
- 74 th CAA, MPC
- PESA Act
- State Finance Commission
- State Election Commission
- RPA 1950, 1951, Election Commission
Here are some miscellaneous topics to be covered as well;
- Official language Act
- Schedule 8 language
- High Court Language
- Disaster Management Act
- Epidemic Act
- National Statistical Commission
- General, National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority
- DPCO , CDSCO, Central administrative Tribunal
- Schedule 8, 5th and 6th Schedule
- Electoral bonds &trusts
- Aspirational District : PM-CARES Fund and PMNRF
- NDRF Good Governance ranking
- National Integration Council
- Contempt of court
- RTI –Sec 4
- UN torture convention
- National Council of Transgender
- SC ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act 1989
- R Bommai Judgement
- Prakash Singh Case
- Central sector & centrally sponsored schemes: Van dhan scheme, DISHA
(Separate list of schemes will be given)
- Schemes for unorganized sector, migrant workers inter – state migrant workmen Act, 1979 & Schemes for Minorities.
PM CARES Funds have been surrounded by a major controversy as well as the Disaster Management Act comes to the forefront due to the Corona disaster striking the world. A bill to change the stature of Official Language has been also in news.
I have listed out every single topic from view of Polity that are most likely to appear in Prelims 2020. Not only this, I have also tried to provide a fair idea of why such a topic can be framed as a question for this year exam!
Hoping you all will make a proper and wisest use of this blog and answer all the questions related to the Polity section confidently in this attempt!
Good luck to you all!!