- February 26, 2022
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
Context- Manipur Assembly Elections 2022: Loktaklake, climate change, carbon footprint feature in party manifestos.
About Loktak Lake:
- Loktak Lake is the largest freshwater lake in Northeast India and is famous for the phumdis floating over it.
- Phumdis are the heterogeneous mass of vegetation, soil and organic matter at various stages of decomposition.
- It is the only floating national park in world and is last natural refuge of endangered Sangai deer.
- This ancient lake plays an important role in the economy of Manipur. It serves as a source of water for irrigation, drinking water supply and hydropower generation.
- Loktaklake was initially designated as a wetland of international importance under the Ramsar Convention in 1990.
- Later it was also listed under the Montreux Record in 1993.