- September 13, 2021
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject – Security
Context – NATGRID to finally see the light of day
- The National Intelligence Grid or NATGRID is the integrated intelligence master database structure for counter-terrorism purpose connecting databases of various core security agencies under Government of India collecting comprehensive patterns procured from 21 different organizations that can be readily accessed by security agencies round the clock.
- NATGRID came into existence after the 2008 Mumbai attacks.
- It is accessible to only authorized people from 10 security agencies on a case-to-case basis for investigations into suspected cases of terrorism.
- NATGRID seeks to become the one-stop destination for security and intelligence agencies to access database related to immigration entry and exit, banking and telephone details of a suspect on a “secured platform”.
- NATGRID is intending to set up an Entity Extraction, Visualization, and Analytics (EVA) system.
- NATGRID faced opposition on charges of possible violations of privacy and leakage of confidential personal information.