National Disaster Response Force (NDRF)
- August 9, 2020
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject: Government organisation
National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) are now a familiar sight at most of the natural calamities or man-made disasters in India.
- The Disaster Management Act has statutory provisions for constitution of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) for the purpose of specialized response to natural and man-made disasters.
- The practice of “proactive availability” of this Force to the States and that of “pre-positioning”, in a threatening disaster situations have immensely helped minimise damage, caused due to natural calamities in the country.
- Besides the professionalism shown during rescue operations in floods and cyclones and collapsed structure search and rescue (CSSR) operations, NDRF has also acquired considerable expertise in facing CBRN (Chemical, Biological, Radiological& Nuclear) challenges.
- It is unique force across the country functioning under the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, within the overall command, control and leadership of the Director General, NDRF.