National statistics Commission
- July 3, 2020
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
The Draft National Statistics Commission Bill has been put out on public domain for comments.
- Draft bill aimed at empowering the National Statistical Commission (NSC) to become the nodal body for all core statistics in the country.
- It proposed to give sweeping power to the commission on its authority over non-government agencies by making compliance of non-government agencies to mandatory audit.
- The draft bill proposes to restructure the composition of NSC.
- C.Rangarajan Commission set up in 2000 has recommended to establish a permanent National Commission on Statistics to serve as a nodal and empowered body for all core statistical activities of the country, evolve, monitor and enforce statistical priorities and standards and to ensure statistical co-ordination among the different agencies involved.
- In line with the recommendations in 2005, the Government of India has set up a National Statistical Commission (NSC) through a resolution.
- The Commission has a part-time Chairperson, four part-time Members and an ex-officio Member. The Chief Statistician of India is the Secretary of the Commission. He is also the Secretary to the Government of India in the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation.