- August 2, 2020
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
US President Donald Trump has decided to withdraw nearly 12,000 American soldiers as part of NATO stationed in Germany.
- NATO is a multilateral organisation founded by 12 member states following the signing of the Washington Treaty on April 4, 1949.
- The objective of the Treaty was to create an alliance to counter the Soviet Union and its influence in western Europe.
- The Treaty derives its authority from Article 51 of the United Nations Charter, which confers the inherent right to a nation to “individual or collective self-defence”.
- NATO is a security alliance of 30 countries from North America and Europe.
- NATO’s fundamental goal is to safeguard the Allies’ freedom and security by political and military means.
- NATO remains the principal security instrument of the transatlantic community and expression of its common democratic values.
- It is the practical means through which the security of North America and Europe are permanently tied together.
- Article 5 of the Washington Treaty i.e that an attack against one Ally is an attack against all is at the core of the Alliance, a promise of collective defense.