Negative import list
- August 25, 2020
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
A list of 108 military subsystems and components has been identified for development by the Indian industry and the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) will provide support for the process
- Items in negative list cannot be imported.
- India has been among the top three defence importers in the world
- So the government wants to reduce the dependence on imported items in defence and give a shot in the arm to the domestic defence manufacturing industry.
- By denying the possibility of importing the items on the negative list, the domestic industry is given the opportunity to step up and manufacture them for the needs of the forces.
- As per Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, which tracks defence exports and imports globally, India has been the second largest importer between 2014 and 2019 with US$ 16.75 billion worth of imports during this period.