- July 6, 2020
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
States and Union Territories have drawn more than double the quantity of rice for distribution during April to June this year, compared to the corresponding period last year.
- As relief package, the Central government had announced that Priority Household (PHH) and Antyodaya Anna Yojana (AAY) cardholders in the country would receive free additional entitlement of 5 kg per person per month up to November. This was in addition to their entitlement under the National Food Security Act (NFSA).
- The Centre also came up with a scheme for providing wheat and rice to ration cardholders not covered under the NFSA or non-priority household (NPHH) cardholders at the rate of ₹21 per kg and ₹22 per kg respectively.
Priority and Non-priority household and Antyodaya Anna Yojna
- National Food Security Act, 2013 covers upto 75% of the rural population and 50% of the urban population under underAntyodaya Anna Yojana (AAY) and priority households.
- While AAY households, which constitute poorest of the poor are entitled to 35 kg of foodgrains per family per month, priority households are entitled to 5 kg per person per month.
- State-wise coverage under NFSA has been determined by the NITI Aayog by using the NSSO’s Household Consumption Survey data for 2011-12.
- Within the coverage under TPDS determined for each State, the work of identification of eligible households is to be done by States/UTs. It is the responsibility of the State Governments/UTs, to evolve criteria for identification of priority households and their actual identification.
- The house holds remaining after selecting priority list will be moved to Non-Priority category. Non Priority House Holds (NPHH) areineligible to get subsidized food grains under NFSA system. According to NFSA, 25% of the rural population and 50% of urban population will be out from receiving subsidized foodgrains under Targeted Public Distribution System (TPDS). They will get ration cards but no subsidized food grains as priority ration cards (PHH) get.